Sunday, May 4, 2008

Walgreens PAID me to shop today!

Walgreens is having a weekly special on various Proctor & Gamble products. If you buy any 3 featured items, you get $4 in Register Rewards (RR) back, to use on your next purchase. Buy 4 items, get $6, buy 5-8 items, get $10, and the BEST deal: buy 9 or more items, get $20 in RR. You can do this as many times as you wish, limit of one per transaction. Here is my haul for 2 transactions.

Photobucket

The first time, I purchased 9 Crest Pro-Health toothpastes, for $2.50 each. I used a Walgreens coupon found in their May EasySaver Catalog (available in store) which takes $3 off each set of 2 (plus $1.50 off the 9th odd one!) I also had $1.50 in manufacturers coupons, bringing my total to $7.50 plus tax and I got $20 in RR back!!

My second transaction was all of the cleaning stuff. I purchased 2 Swiffer Wet refills, 2 Febreze Air Effects, 2 bags of Cascade gel pacs, 1 pack of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, 1 Mr. Clean liquid cleaner refill, and 1 pack of Mr. Clean disinfectant wipes. Each is on sale for $2.50. I had various manufacturers coupons, bringing my total to $17.50 plus tax and I got another $20 RR back!!


So, after tax, I *made* $11 today at Walgreens :) My total out of pocket was $29 and I have $40 to use on my next visit. Cool beans!

3 comments:

Leila said...

OK, I'm more definitely impressed with the financial side of your equation.

But here is what I don't get.

Between CVS and Walgreens, you bought, what? 12 tubes of toothpaste.

What are you going to do with 12 tubes of toothpaste?

Granted the kids don't use the same stuff as David and I do, but 12 tubes of toothpaste would last us... a long time.

I'm really curious. Most of the shopping deals I see/read about/hear about involve stuff like that. I just don't get it. Costco is at the limit and even there I don't think they sell toothpaste by the dozen! :-)

jtibbetts001 said...

Well, the initial purpose is to gather a stockpile. To have enough of the basic necesities (food, health & beaty stuff and cleaning supplies) so that if we ever had a financial crisis (ie: job loss or somesuch) we could go without shopping and just live off our reserves until we got back on our feet. Anything above this necesary amount gets given away!

I give stuff to my parents, my brothers and their families, and of course to charity. The kids' schools routinely collect items (such as toothpaste) for various reasons, and I always have plenty to send of such items :) Madison recently made a donation to our local animal shelter of 20+ packs of cat treats I'd gotten for free. Since all of this stuff is free or more than free, as was the case with this last stash (remember I *made* money :) we are enjoying sharing the love LOL!

Leila said...

Ah! OK, I think I understand.

I'm not organised enough to stockpile anything, so you have my admiration.